Frost free or direct cooling technology, which one is better for refrigerator for home use? Do check out here, detail comparison among two technology.
Frost Free Technology
As the name implies, Front free Refrigerators do not need manual defrosting. The accumulated ice in the appliance is melted with the help of a small element present inside the unit. It does not interfere with the natural cooling cycle which is required to refrigerate the food continuously.
Direct Cool Technology
In direct cool refrigeration, cool air circulation happens naturally without any external support. So, you may not be able to control the temperature distribution in this type. In some instances, the ice would be collected and frozen in and around the freezer box. In such situation a manual button press is required to defrost the ice. Single-door refrigerators mostly designed with direct cool technology.
What are the differences between Direct Cool Vs Frost Free Refrigerator?
Direct cool Refrigerator:
- Natural convection/fans produce cool air circulation.
- It consumes less electricity.
- Manual frost cleaning should be done.
- 50-250 litres are the available capacity.
- Keeps food moderately fresh.
- The exteriors of the fridge do not turn hot.
- The coils are exposed at the back that leads to the dust accumulation.
- Grand appliance for small families.
- All single door fridges have only direct cool technology.
Frost Free Refrigerator
- Interior cooling of the appliance is carried by electric fans.
- Higher consumption of electricity is entailed with the presence of fans.
- There is uniformity in indirect cooling and a few models which have multiple fans for an even cooling across various sections/compartments.
- The inside temperature is monitored by the thermostat. It shuts and restarts cooling effects based on the temperature inside the refrigerator whereas in direct cooling the sensor is usually attached to the cooling coil.
- Automatically defrost the accumulated ice.
- Higher capacity refrigerators come with frost free technology.
- Preserve the food at the best.
- The hotness may be expected here outside the fridge.
- Frost-free is a fully covered model. So, there is no chance to expose the coils.
- An ideal appliance for large families.
- It is quite expensive.
- This technology is available in double-door, triple-door and side-by-side models.
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), India rated refrigerators based on their Energy Efficiency. All branded refrigerators and the leading manufacturers’ refrigerators exemplify this Energy Efficiency by receiving star ratings.
5-stars are generally claimed by the most Energy Efficient refrigerator whereas 1-star is accommodated by the least performer. So, refrigerators with more stars are efficient and curb electricity charges than the low-stared fridges. All leading manufacturers showcase their refrigerators with stars and it makes the consumer easy to prefer the most energy efficient one.
Whether it is a direct cool refrigerator or a frost-free refrigerator the important features to be looked out are Antibacterial protection, Air Deodorizers, Child locks, Open Door Alarms, Indoor ice and water dispenser, Chillers, Separators, Thermostat controls.
From the manufacturer
The manufacturers are focusing more on the frost-free model than the direct cooling as the population in the coming years is very apparent about the technologies and advantages. That’s why the research departments and engineers are concentrating and exploring innovative designs to alleviate energy consumption, increase the durability of the new models in frost-free refrigerators. Manufacturing and marketing are inclining toward making the direct cool version outmoded.
Service and Maintenance
While purchasing any type of refrigerator from the manufacturer/retailer, they generally offer free service or replacement for a stipulated time period. Once the warranty is over, you should repair it on your own. So, it is better to sign up an Annual Maintenance Contract (AMC) with the manufacturer/vendor.
On the above, we have detailed the differences between direct cool refrigerators and frost-free refrigerators, salient features and others. Hope, they may help you in choosing the right appliance for your home.